What is the Job Creation Partnerships (JCP) Program?
JCP is an employment program offered in partnership by Ottawa Festival Network (OFN) and the Province of Ontario’s Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development (MLTSD) to provide work experience to Ontario’s unemployed job seekers. The JCP program provides opportunities to work on projects that benefit the community or local economy while providing participants opportunities to acquire or maintain job skills, to expand a network of contacts, and to maintain an active resume.
Eligibility for JCP:
Prior to an interview with OFN, JCP candidate eligibility is determined according to the following criteria:
- Candidates must be a resident, living in Ontario
- Candidates may not leave employment to participate in JCP. Part time employment averaging up to 20 hours per week can coincide with the JCP program participation. Candidates working less than 20 hours per week are considered unemployed and eligible to be considered for JCP
- Candidates may not be full time students. Part time students may apply.
In addition, candidates must meet, and have documentation for, at least one of the following eligibility criteria:
- a. An unemployed person living in Ontario who has paid Employment Insurance (EI) premiums (through payroll deductions) in at least 5 of the last 10 years and earned a total annual income in excess of $2000 in each calendar year; or
- b. An unemployed person living in Ontario who established an Employment Insurance (EI) regular benefit claim within the last 3 years; or
- c. An unemployed person living in Ontario who established an Employment Insurance (EI) maternity or parental benefit claim within the last five years and are re-entering the labour force
NOTE: If you are eligible to receive Employment Insurance benefits you must apply for those benefits first. Some exceptions to the above criteria may occur which may cause ineligibility.
- Once a candidate has been determined eligible for JCP, an interview with OFN is scheduled
- If deemed appropriate for JCP, candidate resumes will be reviewed by one or more festival directors
- Selected candidates will be contacted by festival directors for secondary interviews
- Festival directors will extend offers of employment in JCP to candidates. Start dates are typically within two weeks of an accepted offer
- Candidates will contact OFN immediately if an offer has been accepted to make arrangements to meet with an Employment Ontario (EO) Service Centre
- Candidates will complete an application for JCP under the guidance of an EO Service Centre
- The EO Service Centre will forward the application to MLTSD for review and approval
- Please note that MLTSD provides final JCP approval
- Participants work 32 hours per week (typically, four 8.0 hour days). One business day is provided each week to allow for continued job search activities
- The majority of JCP contracts will be 26 weeks (6 months) and identified on each job description
- Participants are paid by the Province of Ontario (MLTSD) at a weekly rate of $600 (gross) equating to approx. $18.75 per hour (based on 32 hour work week). Payments are provided on a biweekly basis. Note that if an EI benefit claim is still active, that program payment continues to be provided by Service Canada and depending on the EI benefit claim payment amount, MLTSD may or may not make an additional top up payment to reach the $600. Contact OFN of you wish to discuss your individual circumstances when an EI benefit claim is active.
- Generally, a participant is scheduled to work four days during a Monday to Friday work week. Occasionally however, schedules may vary to accommodate events, special meetings, festival setup, and festival takedown
- Participants work onsite at the festival office – working from home on a regular basis is not permitted by MLTSD. NOTE: Currently, during the COVID-19 global pandemic, participants are able to work from home
- Participants must follow and respect festival office procedures and guidelines and receive direction from a festival supervisor
Employment Ontario (EO) Service Centres and MLTSD:
- OFN will guide the candidate to an EO Service Centre for the preparation of the JCP application, see page 3 for locations in Ottawa
- It is important to secure an appointment with an EO Service Centre within several days after the job offer in order to meet the requested start date
- Candidates must notify OFN of the appointment time, the counselor’s name, and if there are any appointment delays
- Candidates discuss the JCP position with their employment counselor as to how it fits with career goals
- The EO Service Centre will forward the completed JCP application and supporting documentation to MLTSD for approval
- Upon JCP approval, MLTSD will schedule an appointment for the participant to sign the JCP contract. Appointment is typically the Thursday or Friday in the week prior to the start date. The current global pandemic may change this process slightly.
- JCP contracts begin on Monday’s unless otherwise arranged.
- Once MLTSD has completed the documentation process, candidates may begin with the festival.
- Candidates may not work or volunteer for the festival in advance of a pending JCP application decision.
Employment Ontario Service Centres (The most up to date list of centres can be found on Employment Ontario’s website).
|West||ITO 2.0 Employment Services||301 Moodie Dr. #203||613-688-0440||613-688-0444|
|Pinecrest Queensway Employment Centre||2525 Carling Avenue||613-288-3880||613-288-3881|
|Community Employment Resource Centre||415 Hazeldean Rd||613-828-2123||613-828-2683|
|YMCA-YWCA||1642 Merivale Rd. 2nd Flr||613-688.2150||613-688.2166|
|Downtown||City of Ottawa / Ville d’Ottawa||370 Catherine St., 1st Floor||613-560-0622 x 26402||613-744-2320|
|YMCA-YWCA||150 Isabella Street, Suite 201||613-788-5001||613-788-5051|
|St. Lawrence College / Collège St. Lawrence||71 Bank Street, 5th floor after July 2019 200 Elgin Suite 903||613-232-0022 x1770||613-232-0025|
|East||Agilec (formerly Northern Lights Canada)||1900 City Park Dr, Suite100||613-688-3670||613-288-0782|
|Centre des services communautaires Vanier||270 rue Marier Ave||613-742-4400||613-744-2902|
|La Cité Collégiale||240 boulevard Centrum||613-741-9042||613-834-6648|
|South||YSB Employment Services / Services d’emploi du BSJ||1355 Bank Street, 7th Floor, Suite 703||613-236-8244||613-236-4640|
Job Search Activity:
- Participants are provided one day off each week to continue with their job search activities. These activities may include, but are not limited to meetings with their employment counselors, attending employment workshops, attending job fairs, job interviews, and other related job search activities or any other activity chosen by the participant.
- The job search activity day is based on a mutually agreed upon schedule between the participant and festival.
- Participants may be asked to postpone their job search activity day two weeks prior to, and during, the preparation and execution of special events. Missed job search activity time is overtime and rescheduled to another mutually agreed upon time.
- If an employment workshop or job fair is on a day other than the regularly scheduled job search activity day, the participant may request a change to part of, or the full, regularly scheduled day off to accommodate the activity
- Participants must notify their festival supervisor if time off is required to attend a job interview. Festivals will grant the requested time off; participants are not required to make up the lost time for job interviews. The suggested allowable time off to attend a job interview is up to 3 hours. If additional preparation time is requested, at the discretion of the supervisor, participants may be provided additional time or make arrangements to adjust their work schedule to make up for the additional lost time beyond 3 hours.
Terms of the JCP contract:
- Participants agree to a probationary period of 3 weeks to ensure a proper match of skills with job requirements.
- Any significant changes to a JCP job description must be mutually agreed upon by the participant and festival supervisor. OFN must be notified of all modifications.
- Participants may terminate a JCP contract once other employment is secured or enrollment in an academic program. If termination is for any other reason, it is recommended to contact OFN to discuss.
- Participants are committed to a JCP position once the contract has been signed, i.e. moving from one festival to another is not possible.
- If an issue or concern arises between the supervisor/festival and the participant and remains unresolved, the issue may be submitted in writing to the HR Manager of OFN.
- Participants may be released from a JCP contract if there is an improper match of skills, an instance of inappropriate action, breach of trust, or lack of work.
This program is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario