Mar 10, 2020 | Announcements and updates Festival News
Across the globe, several organizations have cancelled conferences and events due to concerns about the COVID-19 virus.
The health and safety of our community is paramount. RBC Bluesfest is closely monitoring the situation and will carefully follow the recommendation of public health experts. At this time, RBC Bluesfest preparations are continuing as planned, in order to stage the event from July 9 to 19, 2020.
Ottawa and Ontario public health officials have advised that the risk of contracting COVID-19 remains low. The current situation is described below:
- Status of Cases in Ontario:(as of March 10, 2020) Many people are being tested out of an abundance of caution, but the number of confirmed positive cases in Ontario remains low (currently 31 confirmed positive and 5 cases resolved). At present, there are no reported cases in Ottawa.
- Globally, most people have become infected with this virus through travel in affected areas or through close or household contact with someone who had the virus. Public health officials are reiterating that the virus is not spreading in our community and most of the infections have resulted in mild illness.
The RBC Bluesfest team is currently reviewing its health and safety protocols to ensure it is adopting best practices. We are in contact with Ottawa Public Health and will continue to monitor their daily updates at: ottawapublichealth.ca
We all have a role to play to reduce the risk of COVID-19 virus transmission. Coronaviruses are spread mainly from person to person through close contact. Taking these steps will reduce exposure to the virus and protect your health:
- wash your hands often with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- sneeze and cough into your sleeve
- avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- avoid contact with people who are sick
- stay home if you are sick
For additional information regarding RBC Bluesfest, please refer to: www.ottawabluesfest.ca.