The Metcalfe Agricultural Society (MAS) is a registered charity with an active Board of Directors, including active volunteers and a strong membership contingent. The MAS has the mandate to organize and present an agricultural fair, promoting life skills, agricultural awareness, education to urban and rural communities, and a venue for farmers and others for competition and trade exhibitions. In addition, the Board plans special events and fundraisers throughout the year and provides on-site rental facilities.
Office Administrator Position:
- The Office Administrator reports to the Executive and Board of Directors, is responsible to oversee the activities and operation of the Fair Office, works closely with the Treasurer and supports the activities conducted by the MAS throughout the year. The Office Administrator represents and reflects the culture and the values of the MAS.
- We are looking for a reliable Office Administrator that is community minded, with strong interpersonal and communication skills. Volunteers, visitors and exhibitors are the MAS’ most significant assets, and the Office Administrator must be able to have positive interactions with a variety of individuals in potentially challenging situations.
- The Office Administrator must be organized and work well under pressure and be competent in prioritizing and working with little supervision. They must have sound judgement and be selfmotivated and trustworthy.
- The ability to work flexible hours is a must. The position is full time: most days at the office throughout the calendar year and then extended hours during the weeks leading up to the fair.
- During the fair the Office Administrator must be able to be present on the grounds for extended periods. Throughout the year there is a requirement to attend a minimum of two evening meetings per month (executive, board and occasionally committee meetings).
- The Office Administrator will have two weeks of vacation that can be taken outside of the busy period pre and post fair.
- It is a salaried position; remuneration will be based on experience.
- Support and engage with the Board of Directors, serve as its secretary, carry out all corporate duties and execute on decisions made by the Board and Executive
- Coordinating office activities and operations to ensure efficiency and compliance to MAS Board direction and policies including managing contracts with service providers, management of phone calls and correspondence, maintenance of records and databases, occasional booking of travel and accommodation requirements and preparation of reports and documentation.
- Serve as a primary contact for visitors, customers, sponsors and fair partners
- Identify and pursue grants, subsidies and funding opportunities that support priorities identified by the Board of Directors
- Manage and oversee all facilities on the fairgrounds including rentals, storage and assist with oversight and project management of repair and construction projects
- Comfortable working with government officials and licensing agencies in support of fair operations, including completing forms and applications and serving as the primary contact for information and questions
- At fair time, supervise casual and part-time administrative staff and divide responsibilities to ensure efficiency and effectiveness
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience
- Valid Driver’s license
- Current criminal record check (last 12 months), or willing to obtain a criminal record check and bondable
- English imperative, French language skills are an asset
- Experience as an office administrator, office assistant or relevant role in the Agricultural Fair industry or similar volunteer-run organizations. Experience with identifying and preparing grant applications is an asset
- Proficiency in computer skills including MS Office Suite in a Windows environment.
- Knowledge of Assist Expo is an asset
- Strong attention to details and ability to set priorities based on importance and urgency
- Excellent interpersonal skills and effective listening skills. Communicate clearly and professionally to ensure accuracy of information received and conveyed
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills; able to build and maintain relationships within the community
- Experience with social media and website management is an asset
- Physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the job; lifting and carry materials up to 20kg.
Please send your application detailing your qualifications for the position and include a resume to: [email protected]
Any questions should be directed to the above email address. No telephone inquiries please.
*** Deadline to Apply: Wednesday November 16, 2022 (11:59pm EST) ***
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.