Marketing & Communications Coordinator
About the Ottawa Symphony
The Ottawa Symphony Orchestra (OSO) is a nonprofit, community-based professional orchestra. Founded in 1965, the Ottawa Symphony specializes in performing large-scale symphonic works with up to 100 musicians on stage. Over the course of the pandemic, the OSO has reorganized to develop an Artistic Planning Committee model (as opposed to the traditional Artistic Director role) and is prioritizing more community engagement and innovative programming moving forward.
The Ottawa Symphony performs 4-8 concerts per year from October to May. Our musicians come from all walks of life: while some work as full-time professional musicians, others work in a variety of different fields during the week. Our mission is to create memorable musical experiences that bring people together.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the coordinator will design and execute the planning and development of the organization’s marketing and communications activities, including web, social media, advertising, monthly newsletters, and print assets. They will work in close collaboration with the Executive Director—the organization’s only other full-time employee—and support the management of all marketing partners & projects.
This role is a unique opportunity to bring your creative marketing strategies to life and grow our audience of classical music lovers after a long hiatus off the stage: there have been significant changes within the organization in the past year (new MVV, Executive Director, Concertmaster, etc.) and we are in a unique and exciting period of re-shaping our identity and our place in Ottawa’s arts & culture scene. We are looking for an enthusiastic self-starter with fresh ideas to develop, support and carry out our aspirations of creating musical experiences that reflect and engage with our community.
- Develop and implement marketing strategies for the orchestra that align with the organization’s strategic plan.
- To this end, design marketing material, and collaborate with graphic designers and photography and printing resources in its production to promote the organization while ensuring compliance with brand standards.
- Perform needs and cost/benefit analyses of proposed marketing plans to support the annual budget planning of the organization and ensure that related activities comply with budget limits.
- Assist with the planning and promotion of fundraising activities, such as lotteries and special events.
- Develop sponsor and partner relationships, and support with identifying potential new ones.
- Maintain a donor recognition program and implement tactics to increase individual donations
- Assist with writing grant applications, as needed
- Create and manage monthly subscriber newsletters
- Assist with maintaining regular communication with partners/agencies/public
- Coordinate media relations
- Assist with identifying opportunities to partner with other organizations
- Experience in marketing and/or communications, donor relations, brand awareness, management, growth
- Strong social media skills and awareness
- Basic graphic design skills & understanding of Adobe InDesign (or equivalent)
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Creativity, curiosity, and enthusiasm
- Self-starter able to develop a strategy, manage the day-to-day execution, and experiment with new ideas
- Collaborative team player: this is very important since we have so few staff!
- Bilingualism an asset
Salary: Full-time position / $35,000 per year
Deadline to Apply: Monday November 15, 2021 at 9:00 AM
Contact: Ottawa Symphony Orchestra | Orchestre symphonique d’Ottawa 202-4 Florence St, Ottawa ON K2P 0W7 [email protected] | (613) 231-7802