Application Deadline: Sep 09, 2022
Start Date: Sep 19, 2022
Salary From: 40K To 50K
Region: Ottawa Area
Employee Benefits: Health
Organization’s Field/Discipline: The Arts
Job’s focus: Administrative
Job Type: Full-time
Career Level: Intermediate
Great Canadian Theatre Company
Great Canadian Theatre Company has successfully produced professional contemporary English-language theatre in Ottawa since 1975. Our mandate to produce theatre that examines “Canadian life and our place in the world” provides a different perspective and makes us unique in our city. With over 85 world premieres, GCTC has made a strong commitment to advancing Canadian theatre and the creation of Canadian plays. The company has a long history of creating theatre that is compassionate, thought provoking and immediately relevant. We produce theatre that does not prescribe a point of view, but rather encourages audience members to engage in debate and discussion.
GCTC is located in Ottawa and includes a 262 seat, modern Mainstage theatre and a black box, flexible studio space. We own and operate the Irving Greenberg Theatre Centre and take our role of mentoring, supporting and sharing our resources with the artistic community seriously. In fact, this is an integral part of our identity as an arts organization.
GCTC values diversity in the workplace because it allows us to better understand and meet the needs of the communities we serve. It helps us foster greater creativity, breadth of experience, and personal growth among our team, and it is essential to our success as an organization.
Salary: $40,000 to $50,000 + benefits package
GCTC is seeking a Marketing & Communications Manager to add to our team. The Marketing & Communications Manager is responsible for the development and implementation of all marketing and communications strategies for the company.
The work for this position takes place primarily in the GCTC administrative offices, located in the Irving Greenberg Theatre Centre. The admin offices are shared with the production department and resident companies and is a vibrant and active place at times.
Hours and Schedule
The Marketing & Communications Manager is a full-time, permanent position. The schedule fluctuates with the flow of the season. Though the hours for this position are primarily Monday to Friday from 9-5pm, this role also involves evening and weekend activities around programming and special events.
Marketing & Communications Manager
The Marketing & Communications Manager works collaboratively with the Managing Director and reports directly to the Artistic Director. This position is responsible for providing leadership in marketing and communication and ensures the accessibility of web and print content, in line with GCTC’s goals and objectives. The Marketing component of the position includes working alongside the designer of record and the Artistic Director in the conceptualization of artistic season designs, and the creation and implementation of a marketing plan that proactively reflects and supports the long-term goals and orientation of the organization. The position is also the main point of contact for media and the community, coordinating with artists and administration to tell our organization’s story and promote our work. This position works closely with and oversees the work of the Marketing Coordinator.
The Marketing and Communications Manager, in concert with the Artistic Director, will annually review the Marketing and Communications plan.
- In concert with the Artistic Director, conceptualizes, creates and implements the annual advertising, marketing and promotional campaign strategy for all GCTC events, activities and core programming;
- Assists in planning and coordinating the production, printing and distribution of the season brochure;
- Works with the Managing Director in the negotiation and management of annual marketing contracts with artists for outsourced work;
- Manages the production, printing, and distribution of all marketing materials;
- Creates and collects the content for house programs and coordinates with the design firm;
- Leads the planning and oversees the implementation of print and digital advertising;
- Working with the Marketing Coordinator, oversees the implementation of social media campaign;
- Works with the Managing Director in the development and management of the annual marketing and communications budget;
- Creates and manages the annual strategy for individual production ticket sales and works to stimulate increased audience interest;
- Oversees website content and updates;
- Creates and manages the season launch and annual subscription campaign;
- Implements and monitors single ticket campaign ads (electronic and printed), printed materials, social media, special offers;
- Is responsible for social media community management;
- Builds and maintains relationships with advertising partners, vendors, suppliers, and contractors;
- Coordinates effective distribution of printed materials including, but not limited to; inserts, brochures, postcards, flyers, posters;
- Coordinates annual subscription renewal mailing and subsequent subscription mailings;
- Updates and manages theatre marquee.
- Maintains and expands the company’s profile in the public realm and generating interest in the company’s projects;
- Develops and writes press releases, as required, for all GCTC activities and events/presentations throughout the season;
- Acts as liaison between the media and GCTC production team and artists, arranging and attending interviews as required;
- Ensures productive relations with audiences, the media, the community and other partners;
- Ensures the consistency, clarity and accuracy of GCTC communications, including editing, writing, proofreading, both in printed materials and web based materials;
- In collaboration with the Artistic Director, schedules and coordinates video and photography for all promotions;
- Organizes content creation for GCTC Blog;
- Attends production meetings as required to ensure media/promotional plan is well organized;
- As required, attends GCTC events to provide social media promotion;
- Creates/seeks out opportunities for print/internet articles to raise awareness and profile of the theatre.
How to Apply:
Email your application to [email protected] with the following by September 9, 2022 at 4:00pm EST:
1) Current Resume
2) Cover Letter that addresses your experience suited for this role and your interest in a
position with GCTC.
We are also open to applications in other formats such as video or audio. Please use whichever
format suits you best.
Please include the title of the job you are applying for (i.e. “Marketing & Communications Manager”) in the subject line of the email, and please add your name and the job title to every file you send us.
Accommodations are available upon request at any stage of the application process.
If you would like to apply but need additional time, or if this application puts up barriers, we
encourage you to get in touch with us before the deadline at [email protected]
GCTC is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in equity and
inclusion and strongly encourage applicants from equity-seeking communities and intersecting
identities to apply.
If you have questions about the position or the application process, please reach out to us at
[email protected] and a member of our team will get back to you.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
For more information about GCTC please visit our website at gctc.ca.