Position: Audio Technician – a Company of Fools
Rate: $3000 ($750/week for 4 weeks)
Dates: April 12th – May 7th
a Company of Fools is looking for an Audio Technician to assist with a development workshop of Love From Afar during the month of April.
Love From Afar
In 2020 a Company of Fools mounted a COVID-safe ‘window tour’ of long term care facilities: audiences watched an outdoor performance from behind glass windows, while listening to the production’s audio being broadcast on the radio.
In late April we are revisiting Love From Afar with the goal of experimenting with the production’s format so it can be shared with larger audiences.
Reporting to the Artistic Director, the Audio Technician will be responsible for all aspects of the workshop’s audio from recommending and sourcing equipment to set up to operation. The Audio Technician will work collaboratively with the creative team to troubleshoot problems and come up with creative solutions as they arise. They will also be responsible for documenting their work.
The development workshop will culminate with two pilot performances for the purposes of soliciting feedback. The Audio Technician will operate audio equipment during these pilot performances, and report to the stage manager.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience working with sound equipment used in live performance
- Experience using playback software to fire cues during a live performance
- Ability to mix mic’d voices and recorded sounds during a live performance
- Experience sourcing audio equipment within a predetermined budget
- Ability to troubleshoot, research solutions, and offer feedback to the artistic team
- Communications skills and an ability to collaborate with a team in a respectful manner
- Professional standards and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and complete tasks on time
- A sense of humour
- Any knowledge of radio transmission and Canadian licensing requirements is an asset, but not required
- A valid driver’s license is an asset, but not required
- Understand the production’s goals and offer proposals with respect to sound and audio
- Collaborate with creative team as a fully-contributing member of the production
- Source, maintain, install, and assist in the transportation of audio equipment
- Operating audio equipment during pilot performances
- Assist with the set-up/tear down of audio equipment
Interested? Please submit a resume and brief cover letter to Nicholas Leno at [email protected] (att: audio technician) by April 2nd. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.