Term: September 2022 to May / June 2025 (subject to annual review and renewable)
Part-time: up to 60 hours/month
Application Deadline: 11 February 2022
Review of applications will begin immediately. We encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible.
The Ottawa Choral Society (OCS) has an 80-year history as the National Capital Region’s premier symphonic chorus with over 100 auditioned voices. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Jean-Sébastien Vallée, the OCS’ innovative programming includes a wide variety of choral repertoire from centuries past to the present. Along with its annual series of choral concerts, the OCS collaborates regularly with the National Arts Centre Orchestra, Ottawa Chamberfest and other artistic partners. In a normal artistic season, the OCS performs in four or more major choral / orchestral concert productions which regularly feature world-class vocal soloists, the National Capital’s leading instrumentalists and renowned conductors. For further information and details about the OCS, visit our website at: http://ottawachoralsociety.com
Core Functions: Working with the Board of Directors and Artistic Team, the Artistic Director (AD) of the OCS plays the central leadership role with the OCS Choir in designing and delivering the OCS programming. The Artistic Director’s primary responsibilities are to develop the programming for the choir, prepare the choir for concert performances, prepare the appropriate pedagogical approach to enhance the choirs’ musical capacity, complete the musical and production planning, and conduct concerts. Required services include regular Wednesday evening rehearsals and additional activities on specific weekends and concert production weeks.
- Recruitment and auditions of new members and periodic choir-wide re-auditions;
- Attend OCS Board meetings when warranted, to facilitate communication between OCS Governance, Executive, Administration, and Artistic staff;
- Plan, prepare and deliver choral/musical workshops, retreats and other choral skill development activities whether virtual, or in-person;
- Work closely with the members of the Artistic Team to develop and manage a cohesive and well-organized rehearsal and performance plan;
- Work closely with the Choir Manager to facilitate efficient choir operations and ‘esprit de corps’;
- As the important public face of OCS, stay connected within the local music scene and aspire to foster close collaborative ties with important community stakeholders, patrons and media channels.
- Degree in Music is required; graduate studies in conducting preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years experience conducting choral ensembles; experience conducting choral-orchestral works preferred;
- Proven strong choral conducting and rehearsal skills;
- Broad choral experience and familiarity with diverse choral repertoire;
- Demonstrated leadership;
- Effective communication in English
Additional Valued Attributes:
- Keyboard proficiency;
- Expertise in vocal pedagogy;
- Arts administration experience;
- Fluency in French;
- Residency in the National Capital Region.
Salary: Competitive remuneration commensurate with experience.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion: The Ottawa Choral Society is strongly committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates who may be racialized persons / persons of colour, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Application Process: All interested applicants should submit:
- Cover Letter;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Name and contact information for three references;
- Link to 3 videos showing the applicant’s musical and conducting abilities
The interview and audition process are planned for the first quarter of 2022. More information to come. All application material should be sent by email to: [email protected]