OFN speaks with one voice to proactively address issues and challenges, and supports opportunities that benefit the industry. We communicate and network with all three levels of government and monitor legislative and policy issues that impact the industry.
Festivals, special events and fairs are vital to a vibrant, inspired and prosperous capital city! We are an excellent investment with tremendous ROI. We create jobs, drive consumer spending, keep our region thriving—fostering economic growth, and building neighbourhoods and community. We are an important part of tourism, cultural tourism, and are a significant part of Ottawa’s brand.
Why Ottawa’s festivals, special events and fairs matter:
- Festivals, special events and fairs accounted for more than $222.6 million total spending ($141.2 million direct and $81.4 indirect and induced) generated by activities at just 37 of the annual events that take place in Ottawa
- Tourists attending annual festivals, special events and fairs spent $122,479,756 during their visit
- The tourism industry benefits from an estimated 234K room nights, 104K peak rooms and more than 968K visitor days
- Spending generated by visitors, organizers and sponsors, supported 68,798 jobs, generating $63 million in personal income and more than $33 million in taxes to the three levels of government
- Festivals provide an important venue for local artists, groups and performers, with 33 events reporting that 1628 of a total of 4366 artists employed were local
- More than 16,632 volunteers dedicate over 310,000 hours with an economic equivalent of $8.3 million
To learn more about OFN’s research:The Economic Impact of Festivals, Special Events and Fairs