Aug 29, 2017 | Announcements and updates Festival News
Canada’s Capital Region¾Make the most out of your last long weekend of summer with our annual Family Event at the Mackenzie King Estate, in the heart of Gatineau Park. Step back in time, and celebrate Canada 150 with live music and swing dancing, horse and carriage rides, lawn games from Mackenzie King’s era, as well as craft and artisan demonstrations, and a yummy chocolate tasting to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Saturday, September 2 to Monday, September 4
Ongoing activities (11 am to 6 pm)
- Interactive colouring wall
- Kids’ Corner (Kingswood)*
- Tour of the cottages (museums)
- Selfie Station
- Old-fashioned lawn games (croquet, horseshoes, beanbag toss at Kingswood)*
Noon to 4 pm: Demonstrations
- Chocolate tasting
- Pottery making
- Lace making
12:30 pm to 4:30 pm
- Live folk music (Kingswood)*
- Swing dancing
- Live jazz band
- Face painting (Kingswood)*
1 pm to 5 pm
- Live classical music at the Abbey Ruins
- Horse and carriage rides
- Kite-flying demo (Saturday and Sunday only)
1 pm to 4pm
- Try a piece of the King family’s fruitcake
* All activities will take place at Moorside, except those taking place at Kingswood, as indicated.
The Mackenzie King Tearoom is cooking up a barbecue from noon to 5 pm (cash only, weather permitting). Visitors to the Estate may also bring their own picnic.
MACKENZIE KING ESTATE HOURS OF OPERATION
Until October 22, 2017, the Estate will be open at the following times:
- Weekdays,* 10 am to 5 pm
* The museums are closed on Tuesdays, but the grounds remain open to the public.
- Weekends, 11 am to 6 pm
Vehicle Access Fees (P6) (taxes included)
|Daily Pass||Weekdays,* 9 am to 5 pm
Weekends, 9 am to 6 pm
|Season Pass $75.00**|
* Half rate after 3 pm and on Tuesday. Access to the Estate’s parking lot is free for school groups with a reservation.
**$5 fee for the activation of a new card
A free shuttle service, provided in collaboration with our partner Transcollines, will make it easier for people to get to the Family Event.
When the main parking lot (P6) at the Estate is full, you will be redirected to another parking lot, where you can take the shuttle.
This service may be cancelled without notice.
Guided Tours (reservations required): Until October 15, 2017
Commercial groups and private tours
For reservations, call the Friends of Gatineau Park at 819-827-3113.
- Vehicle access is free for school groups (reservation required).
- Maximum 35 participants
For reservations, call the youth programming reservation line at 1-800-461-8020.
The NCC is proud of its association with the following media partners of the Mackenzie King Estate: Rogers Media (KiSS 105.3, Country 101.1, 106.1 CHEZ, 1310 NEWS), Bell Media (94.9 Rouge, ÉNERGIE 104.1), Ottawa Metro and LeDroit.
For more information about the Mackenzie King Estate or activities offered in Gatineau Park, please contact the NCC at 819-827-2020, 1-866-465-3016 (toll-free), 613-239-5090 (TTY) or
1-866-661-3530 (toll-free TTY); visit the NCC’s website at ncc-ccn.gc.ca/mackenzie-king-estate; follow us on Twitter @NCC_GatPark or Facebook|GatineauPark; or stop by the Gatineau Park Visitor Centre located at 33 Scott Road, in Chelsea.
NCC Media Relations
613-239-5678 ext. 5870 (office)