The National Capital Commission (NCC) invites the public to the Estate in Bloom festivities at the Mackenzie King Estate on Saturday, July 24 and Sunday, July 25, 2010. From 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm, residents and visitors can celebrate the passion of Canada’s 10th prime minister, William Lyon Mackenzie King, for gardening, horticulture and landscaping.
A variety of activities on the theme of “flowers in the heart of Gatineau Park” will be offered throughout the weekend.
1:30 pm to 4:30 pm
- Guided tours with Mackenzie King (portrayed by a guide-interpreter), as he discusses his landscaping plans for the Estate:
- in English at 1:30 pm.
- in French at 3 pm.
- Guided tours by Jean-Pierre Martel, renowned horticulturist, who will guide you through the floral gardens of the Estate:
- in English at 3 pm.
- in French at 1:30 pm.
- Tasting workshops presented by local shops Miss Chocolat and Florist Avant Garde, where visitors can sample edible flowers dipped in chocolate.
- Soap-making demonstrations offered by the Olivier Soapery Chelsea.
- Presentation of renowned fragrances from the 1930s and 1940s by Michèle Hamelin, esthetician and expert in the history of European perfumes.
- Activities and games for the whole family at Kingswood and Moorside.
- Classical music concerts by the Atrium Trio at 1:30 pm, 2:30 pm and 3:30 pm at the Moorside gardens.
- In addition to the regular menu, refreshments available at the Moorside gardens:
- floral teas and other refreshments available ($).
- floral flavoured pastries and sweets ($).
Located in the heart of Gatineau Park, the Estate was the residence of the Right Honourable William Lyon Mackenzie King, who held the office of prime minister of Canada for almost 22 years, between 1921 and 1948. Every year, this national cultural attraction welcomes thousands of visitors who come to admire the beautiful setting and surroundings.
MACKENZIE KING ESTATE HOURS OF OPERATION:
Summer Hours of Operation
From May 15 to September 6, 2010, the Estate will be open:
- everyday from 11 am to 5 pm.
Fall Hours of Operation
From September 7 to October 17, 2010 the Estate will be open:
- weekdays from 11 am to 5 pm, and
- on weekends and statutory holidays from 10 am to 5 pm.
Mackenzie King Tearoom is open every day, from 11 am to 5 pm. For more information or reservations, please call 819-827-3405.
$8 per vehicle
$30 per minibus (max. 20 passengers)
$50 per bus
$65 season pass (access to all Gatineau Park beaches, Leamy Lake beach and Mackenzie King Estate)
VIA RAIL GARDEN ROUTE:
The Mackenzie King Estate gardens are included in the VIA Rail Garden Route destinations, where the public can experience the country’s most astonishing flower gardens and the enthusiasm of Canadian gardening addicts. From Victoria to Halifax, the Garden Route is an invitation to discover 18 magnificent gardens and 27 Communities in Bloom, all winners of the prestigious 5-Bloom award. Green-thumb travellers will enjoy the special horticultural attractions and activities. And everyone will delight in the spectacular displays of countless thriving blooms. For more information about the VIA Rail Garden Route, visit www.viarail.ca/garden.
For more information about the Estate in Bloom, the public may contact the NCC at 613-239-5000, 1-800-465-1867 (toll-free), 613-239-5090 (TTY) or 1-866-661-3530 (toll-free TTY), or visit the NCC’s website at www.canadascapital.gc.ca/king.