HP1 – Communications & Outreach Coordinator – House of PainT
Desired Contract Length: 24 Weeks
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
End Date: After 24 weeks
Work Schedule: Full Time – 4 business days (32 hours per week)
Work Location: Westboro
Summary: Reporting to the Festival Coordinator, develop innovative promotional materials for use in targeted campaigns for existing and new audiences, with a strong focus on youth. Assist in the development and implementation of all media relationships including television, radio, print, and internet. Support design and documentation teams. Support outreach projects including newsletter development and stakeholder meetings.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the festival’s communication strategies
- Coordinate public relations activities with the media
- Write press releases, media advisories, web content, e-newsletter and other forms of communication
- Implement social media activities and regular web-updates, update website and social media weekly/daily
- Schedule, train, supervise and support volunteer communications and documentation team members
- Identify opportunities for outreach to engage with communities not currently involved with the festival
- Provide creative input to the team to develop effective communications and marketing materials
- Contribute to developing creative guerilla and event marketing strategies
- Assist the documentation team to ensure coverage of the festival
- Assist the Producer to prepare a final report on the festival and make recommendations for the next festival
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- College or university education in Marketing, PR, or Communications or equivalent experience
- Knowledge and experience with MailChimp
- Willing to work outdoors
- Strong written and verbal skills in English and French.
- Consistent ability to meet deadlines, perform under pressure, and prioritize tasks
- Strong computer literacy – proficiency in MS Office, Google Drive, Dropbox, Mac and PC operating systems, multiple social media platforms, WordPress, and CMS software is required
- Proven leadership, strong interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Energetic, enthusiastic and responsible individual; knowledgeable about hip hop culture and passionate about youth arts
- Understanding of community development approaches and social-equity based principles
- Knowledge of WordPress, Adobe Creative Suites and other design software an asset
- Proficiency in Spanish or Arabic would be considered a strong asset
- Previous experience working in special events is an asset
Additional Qualifications Required:
Eligible to participate in Ontario’s Job Creation Partnership (JCP) program by meeting the following criteria:
- You are a resident, living in Ontario.
- You are not a full time student (part time students are eligible).
- You are not leaving employment to participate (working less than an average of 20 hrs/week is considered unemployed.
- You also must meet, and provide documentation for, at least one of the following criteria:
1) Previously employed in Canada in any five of the last ten calendar years and earned income in excess of $2000 in each year, OR
2) Previously established an Employment Insurance benefit claim (regular benefits within the last three years or maternity/parental within the last five years).
$17.50 per hour for 32 hours – $560 (gross per week) provided by the Province of Ontario.
Forward your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please note, only selected candidates who meet the JCP eligibility criteria will be contacted for an interview; applicants must indicate how they meet the eligibility in their email and/or cover letter. To learn more about the JCP program, please click here.