AB1 – Media Coordinator – Ottawa International Animation Festival
Contract Term: 26 Weeks
Start Date: ASAP
End Date: For Set Weeks
Summary: The Ottawa International Animation Festival (OIAF) is one of the leading events of its kind in the world. It’s an annual five-day event with a total attendance of 28,000 attracting artists, producers, students and animation fans from around the world. As Media Coordinator, you will assist the OIAF Programming Team to execute a social media plan, create media releases, create the OIAF e-newsletter and generally get the word out to animation fans on a local, national and international level.
Office location: The Arts Court – ByWard Market Area
- Coordinate and execute a social media plan and create messages about programming and artists for the OIAF social media networks.
- Use photoshop to create images for social media.
- Continually research and update the media list on a local, national and international level.
- Write and layout the OIAF e-newsletter.
- Write media releases for OIAF programming and create an online media kit.
- Secure high resolution photos from distribution companies, curators and artists.
- Develop and pitch stories to media outlets and follow-up.
- Contact filmmakers and guests and coordinator interviews over the phone and throughout the week of the OIAF.
- During the week of OIAF, establish a media space for interviews, help coordinate daily “Meet the Filmmaker” sessions, liaise between artists and the media and reply to media inquiries.
- Keep track of media coverage leading up to and during the Festival
Skills, Abilities and Eligibility:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English; French and/or other languages are an asset
- Good organizational skills / able to work in a busy environment; attention to detail and accuracy are a MUST
- Advanced written English skills
- Advanced social media skills; knowledge of Photoshop; basic knowledge of html
- You are eligible to participate in Ontario’s Job Creation Partnerships (JCP) program by meeting the following criteria:
- You are a resident, living in Ontario
- You are not a full time student (part time student is allowable)
- You are not leaving employment to participate; you can continue with part time work up to 20 hrs/week
- You are not leaving employment to participate in the program; currently working less than an average of 20 hrs/week is considered unemployed
- You also must meet at least one of the following criteria:
a) You have been previously employed in Canada and contributed to the Employment Insurance Premium program via employee payroll deductions (part time or full time for any number of weeks per calendar year) for at least 5 of the last 10 years (the 5 years do not need to be consecutive); OR
b) You have previously established an Employment Insurance (E.I.) benefit claim (regular benefits) with Service Canada within the last three years, OR
c) You have previously established an Employment Insurance maternity/parental leave Employment Insurance benefit claim within the last five years.
Learning Opportunities and Additional Benefits: Take your career to the next level. Learn how to do media and social media for an international film event from professionals and gain invaluable contacts. Take Lynda.com courses on social media, media and other position related topics. Complimentary tickets and passes to the OIAF.
What is offered?
Program participants are offered positions of 30 hours per week (4 days per week) and are provided a payment of $423 per week ($14.10 per hour) by the Province of Ontario.
CityFolk Festival is committed to building an inclusive workforce reflecting the demographics of a Canadian society. The organization has also developed policies and procedures in order to ensure a barrier-free selection process and workplace.
Forward your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please note, only selected candidates who meet the JCP eligibility criteria will be contacted for an interview; applicants must indicate how they meet the eligibility in their email and/or cover letter. To learn more about the JCP program, please click here. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.