Event Date: Dec 1, 2018 - Dec 31, 2018
Location: Lights along Confederation Boulevard. Illumination Ceremony on Parliament Hill
Ottawa sparkles and shines during the Christmas season with Christmas Lights Across Canada. From early December to early January, thousands of colourful lights illuminate the National Capital Region’s winter landscape. The radiant event, which began more than three decades ago, became such a hit that cities across Canada now participate in what’s become a national tradition.
- Hundreds of thousands of dazzling holiday lights glow throughout downtown Ottawa.
- Parliament Hill is a must-see stop on any tour of the lights, with tens of thousands of bulbs lighting its historic buildings.
- A winter lightscapes multimedia show will be projected onto Parliament Hill’s Centre Block. Inspired by Canada’s nature, climate and culture, this 13-minute fairy tale will run nightly in loop, from 5:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.. The switch is flipped at an official illumination ceremony open to the public that includes carols, on-site performances and a pyrotechnic show. The ceremony will take place the first week of December on Parliament Hill.
- The program was launched in 1985 as a way to liven up the darkest of winter days.
- The program extends from the Capital to all provincial and territorial capitals in the country.